MIC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Principle Microbiologist PepsiCo
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am by iglomski

» iBiology Associate Director
Groups and Ranks and such EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm by iglomski

» Undergrad Teaching positions at Bridgewater State
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyThu May 08, 2014 11:40 am by iglomski

» Sweet studio apt available
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 6:49 pm by iglomski

» STEM Lecturers in Biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm by iglomski

» Lecturer Georgia Southern University’s Department of Biology
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 am by iglomski

» Immunology Faculty Positions Case Western Reserve University
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am by iglomski

» ASSISTANT PROFESSOR - MICROBIOLOGY at AZ State
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 5:20 pm by iglomski

» Non-tenure track full time lecturer- UMass Lowell
Groups and Ranks and such EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am by iglomski

Poll

Groups and Ranks and such

Go down

Groups and Ranks and such Empty Groups and Ranks and such

Post  acl5d Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:38 pm

So the way this forum hosting site is laid out, there are two ways to differentiate members: groups and ranks. Groups are what control permissions like viewing/editing certain forums. Ranks are purely for display and they show underneath the username and avatar of each post.

I wanted to have a way that users could easily identify whether someone posting is a grad student, faculty member, post doc, moderator, admin, etc. There's one way to do this in an automated manner with groups: name color. As you can see, I've been playing around with that, so now admin names are red, faculty names are purple, and moderator names are green. (The group memberships are ranked, so admin>moderator>faculty/student determines which color is used.)

I thought it would be more obvious, however, if each user's memberships are spelled out below their usernames. The problem is that the only way to do this is with ranks, and ranks have to be assigned manually. One by one. To each user. It'll also require a unique rank be made for each combination (i.e., mine is "FounderAdminGrad student").

So I'm gonna do that, but it'll take some time so I'll finish it later tonight.

*Edit: Never mind, that would be a huge pain. I think for now I'll stick to labeling groups by color and only certain users (Admins, Moderators, Dept Chairs) will have individual ranks.

The problem is that I don't know every student/faculty member/post doc/tech by name so they may be mixed up at first. Also, if you don't make it clear who you are (by either your username, profile information, or signature), that'll make it more difficult too.

*Edit: one way to make this much easier and more accurate would be to follow the suggestion in the original Sticky and request to be in the usergroup where you belong - that way, I can just click the "approve" button.
acl5d
acl5d
Founder
Admin

Interests : Virology, immunology

https://uvamic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum